Thursday, May 18, 2006

Oh Rolling Stone, you and me are going to get along just fine.

Remember when you were rooting for John Kerry and so was I? I knew right then that you were more than just a pretty face.

And now, you come along and acknowledge the intelligence and awesomeness of my fellow historians:

"Historians do tend, as a group, to be far more liberal than the citizenry as a whole." No reason to include that here. It's true on a couple of levels though; history mixers aren't all cardigans and corn cob pipes like you, the uninitiated, might expect.

"Many historians are now wondering whether Bush, in fact, will be remembered as the very worst president in all of American history."

Historians, including this one, aren't wondering friend.

Somewhere a while ago, when the war in Iraq didn't seem the huge festering pile of pus that it is now (it was always a horrible idea, but it spiraled from horrible to unspeakable somewhere along the way), I was watching some television program where someone on TV said that no one would remember all the (valid) arguments against the war in Iraq, that all history would remember is that Bush brought down Saddam Hussein.

I have to say, with a fairly informed opinion (my degree says BAH History, after all) that History just isn't that dumb. History doesn't have it's head shoved up it's ass. It's going to remember the lies (Iraq) and the inaction (Katrina) and the religious conservatism (everything) and the outright contempt for the intelligence of...well, everyone that wasn't in the Administration.

If I ever write a history book, even if it's about hats in 18th century Pompeii (that one's for you Jo), I'll find a way to work it in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home