Sunday, August 20, 2006

"The illusion of due diligence."

Syriana: A movie that assumes it's audience is smart. This, in turn, makes me feel smart for choosing to watch it. Vicious cycle, really. I enjoyed it. New appreciation for Alexander Siddig who was much better as Prince Nasir than he ever was as Dr. Bashir on Deep Space Nine. Yes, of the Star Trek franchise. Toni=Nerd, lest you needed a reminder.

I did not like it when they tortured George Clooney's character. I covered my eyes.

I was impressed by the representation of Hezbollah as a power in Lebanon in a movie released a full year before Hezbollah came to the attention of regular joes around the world. It was one of those instances where the film makers assumed the audience's intelligence.

It was sad, tragically so in places, and I was touched. I didn't, however, feel like it had anything new to say. I guess I was waiting for some sort of revelation when Syriana was more of a chilling mirror into the darker part of today's geopolitical reality. Oil is the motivation behind any number of political machinations worldwide, particularly where the United States is concerned, that's not news to anyone. There are shadowy backstage actors operating around the world that no one really knows about. Surely that's been posited in the past. By Alias even; a show that certain has nothing to say of any political import. But I have a deep, abiding and groinal love for Michael Vartan, Victor Garber and Jennifer Garner so I think I can forgive them.

Also, Susan is home and fantastic. I'm filled with girlish glee and love for my fellow man. Fellow Susan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home