Sunday, August 20, 2006

Family Gathering.

'Twas my grandma's birthday party yesterday so Deanna and I shuffled up to a family gathering at my aunt and uncle's. Found myself sitting in a cloud of cigarette smoke wondering how people could smoke so much, concern for their lungs tossed carelessly into the wind, for the better part of five hours while my various relatives recounted tales of the good old days. You know, before we kids were born and cocked things up.

I always think that these people, as my mom's family, would have insight to offer on who my mom was. I knew her as well as a twelve year old can, but that's nothing compared to how you get to know your family once you're an adult. They know my mom in a way that I never will, but I see them like, twice a year, so they're really no help.

I was bored out of my skull and hacking up a lung almost the entire time.

So I wandered around and took pictures. My aunt and uncle live in the boonies, so there was no lack of foliage to take pictures of. There was some discussion of their neighbour's farm. I think my relatives harbour suspicions that, since abandoning organic farming, their neighbours are growing and distributing weed out of their barn. Hilarious! I thought of going on a raid on behalf of Jo.

I'm off to a baby shower today and really, when did people I know start getting themselves knocked up? Okay, it's only one so far but it's only a matter of time before it's more! Babies are catching. It's true; I once read on some woman's shirt that "Babies are an STD". Crass but hilarious! I must admit, however, I was entranced by the little baby outfit I bought, which includes a baby sized purple smock that's all fuzzy and has a unicorn on it! I really wish I wasn't reduced to a cooing moron where babies and baby sized products are concerned.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home