Thursday, July 13, 2006

More Adventures in Late Night Television.


So I was watching TV again last night. Having discovered torrents and the downloading of full seasons of television sans commercials I really don't watch a lot of regular tv but when I do it's inevitably when I drag my carcass into bed (which is sadly earlier and earlier nowadays).

During my late night channel surfing I came across a Christian rock music commercial and was rather impressed by the enthusiasm of everyone involved. You should have seen the audience; although they were my age had they been fourteen they would not have looked out of place at a Backstreet Boys concert. Not that I have any personal experience with that.

There were a lot of helpful slogans. First of all they told me that the music and concert footage could be purchased on a "Cutting edge CD and DVD." No cassettes for these cool cats. Also, I was told it was an "extraordinary worship experience." In an interview, the lead singer of the band (who was rather good looking, his hair probably got that pretty because he loves Jesus so much) said "It's pure worship" AND, I swear I'm not making this up, he yelled at the crowd, in the manner of a band trying to hype up the crowd, "Do you want to worship God tonight?"

They played one full song for the commercial which, like any good pop song was highly repetitive. The lyric that really stuck in my head was "You are the one my heart beats for." I'm fairly certain that I've heard that lyric in at least 4 billion other songs. In fact, I wasn't sure at first who their heart was beating for at all. It should have been, "You are the one my heart beats for Jesus" or "Yahweh you are the one my heart beats for."

Also? There were about ten million of them onstage. I think they were trying to trick me into thinking that they weren't a choir with their jeans and non-threatening corduroy blazers. They forgot that you have to get up pretty early to fool Toni F. Bank. Or, at least sometime before 11 am.

Extraordinary Live Worship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home