Monday, March 06, 2006

Born into Brothels


One of the pictures by Puja, I think, of the other children. Not my favourite one but still excellent. I know there's some thought out there that this kind of documentary and photo journalism is exploitive of the people it examines. I don't think they're entirely wrong. I can't help but feel, though, that any attention paid to these children who the world has forgotten can't be a bad thing.

One of the kids who was particularly talented was sent to Amsterdam and when showing one of his pictures to a group of children he said something along the lines of, "It's sad but we have to look at it because it's the truth." As moved as I was by what he said, Jo and I agreed that it's sad in a way that a twelve year old can be that profound. 12 year olds should be thinking about frivolous things.

I really can't recommend the documentary enough, in case that wasn't already clear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home