Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Still melting over here

So I've got this assignment for my Witch hunts and Popular Culture class where I'm supposed to compare/contrast elite and popular ideas of witches in early modern Scotland. In fact, I'm supposed to be writing the essay now. I have a paragraph done already though, so I figure, I'm good for a blog break.

Anyways, as history profs hate me, they want us to use primary sources. Which, for all the unenlightened (and smelly) masses, is a source that was written/produced during the tiem period being studied.

Sometimes primary sources are okay. Next semester I have a class studying poverty and policy in the Victorian age and that should be pretty okay with the sources.

Early modern sources, however, are another matter entirely. As I have my book open here, I shall offer you an example, even though I know you couldn't care less.

This is from Daemonologie by King James (VI of Scotland, I of England): ...Witches ar servantes onelie, and slaues to the Deuill or wherevnto all the partes of that vnhappie arte are redacted.

Yeah, and he was a King. Notice how u's are used for v's and HOW ARE IS SPELLED TWO DIFFERENT WAYS? It's not unreadable, just irritating.

In this other one I have to read, about the confession of a witch called Isabel Gowdie is even worse. Spouse is spelt, at various times throughout this pile of crap as, spows and spous. The word meall means both male child and pounded. Thank God for footnotes.

Anyway, now that I've bored you all thoroughly and you'll never visit my blog again, I can start posting the real dirt about Susan and me.

And I'm hot. It's so hot in our house, in fact, that Jo and I have been sleeping in the livingroom for the past two nights. Sucks a lot, I must tell you.


See how the title had little/nothing to do with what I wrote? Yeah, I'm saucy that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home