Monday, December 19, 2005

My first mistake? Talking about stuff.

I made the mistake of bringing up the topic of homosexuality with my dad in the car today. In what I thought would be a fairly amusing and innocuous anecdote, I told my dad about the first cast party we had at our house in which a great deal of kissing was had. I guess I lost my mind or something because I should have known that my dad can't seem to let the topic of homosexuality come up without giving me his two cents, describing how two women are attractive to him but two men are the exact opposite. He always offers me informal 'polling data', how most of the people he talks to feel the same way he does.

Thanks Dad, got it. You're a Super Hetero. No penis for you!

I guess always think that he should have more compassion/understanding/etc. because his brother was gay but I guess it never really works out that way. Kevin was okay but he's the special case, according to my dad, because he didn't 'flaunt' himself. WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN? Are you saying that Uncle Kevin was 'okay' because he didn't feel comfortable enough to bring any of his partners home to spend time with his family? Not okay, dad. That's horrifying.

Conversations like this inevitably end in an argument or at the, least heated tension because I feel like I just can't let him say these things. These INCREDIBLY ingnorant things. So I try to correct him but it's like talking to a pile of bricks. And he always pulls the "you just like to be contrary card."

Ugh. Rant good. If you'll excuse me, I'll be huddled under my blanket with a cat in my lap and a cup of hot cocoa, railing against injustice (and cramps).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home