Monday, December 26, 2005

Hermits? They don't have it that bad.

Home from the grandparents, however briefly, to pick up the little sister as I am apparently in charge of her for the next two weeks. Hoo-ray.

Having spent 48 hours in the company of my family, I'm contemplating a hermitical lifestyle. Why hang around people that clearly don't like me or anything I have to say and, as such, have decided it is their responsibility to make my life miserable? There were high points, I will admit that. My cousin Jenn was a bright spot in the gloom and my dad was delightful.

I know, everyone has this same family crap at Christmas but the past week has been peppered with family gatherings and it hasn't been even twenty-four hours since I was listening to my younger cousins scream at each other EVERY FIVE MINUTES. I feel like it's time for a rant.

The past week has consisted of deflecting offers of alcohol from drunk relatives...No Uncle Harry, I don't want to do shooters with you and defending academic choices and my hobbies to people who "just can't get into reading" SORRY I'M NOT ILLITERATE FUCKWAD. Everyone has something to say about my history degree as well. "No Brian, I'm not sure what I'm doing after university right now, thanks for your EXTREMELY helpful recomendations. I'm definitely going to draw a graph to map my goals and how to get there." WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?

I NEVER want to have another Christmas day like I did yesterday. Kids fighting, adults tense, me bored and wanting to escape at the first possible moment and wondering what the hell I'm doing there. But the real beauty of Christmas is that it comes ever year and I know I'm going to be stuck in exactly the same houses with the same ignorant, judgemental people next year.

End rant.

The good news is I have a few hours to myself now. I don't have to talk to anyone and can gorge myself on the internet. Necessary to restore the sanity.

1 Comments:

Blogger Toni said...

Especially the leopard spots. Who doesn't want those tattooed all over their body? Really, an investment you can be proud of.

Also, hello. I don't know you but you posted on my blog. Cool.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home