Friday, April 07, 2006

Ruminations on the relative merits of a pseudonym.

It has recently occured to me that there is no one in my hometown that will calls me Toni. It really gives the whole nickname thing a weird alternate-identity aspect. In Guelph I'm Toni in other places I'm not. Weird.

'Toni' started back in second semester of first year. Direct roots are a mystery even to me and Jo, who is responsible for christening me with it. Caught on like wildfire. It's how I introduce myself to people in Guelph. It's how people address me. A significant number of my friends don't know my real first name and even less know my last name.

The best reaction to the fact that my name isn't really Toni goes to Amy. She was simply appalled. She said, "What? You're joking right?" with a look of shock and disappointment. Jo and I laughed and laughed.

Sometimes I really feel like Toni is a persona. She's the person I'd like to be, while my secret identity is not at all Superman-esque. It's the Clark Kent effect in reverse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home