Tuesday, February 07, 2006

On engagements and impending nuptials

Just got an email from one of my good friends from highschool and she told me that she just got engaged. Engaged! I'm really excited for her. She's been with her fiancee since the end of highschool and I know it's what she's always dreamed about.

This is incredibly cliche, but I can't help but think: Holy Crap, my friend's getting married! I mean, Shauna's one of my oldest friends. Right from grade nine. I remember when she wore her hair in pigtails all the time and had that horrible blue leopard print purse. (In case she's reading this: Sorry Shauna, but that purse was a train wreck...not unlike that bunny backpack/purse that I had in grade nine). I remember going to New York with Shauna and Sheri-Ann and Isabella in OAC and falling asleep during a Broadway show and tearing through that outlet mall in New Jersey like the idiots we were (still are). Now she's taking this huge, adult step. AND she's going to be done teacher's college this year and starting her career. She's definitely got the adult-life-thing started.

As I've said to SuJoBarb many a time, I can't even contemplate making a committment like that right now. Obviously, this is partly because I don't have a partner to become engaged to at this juncture. Beyond that though, I feel like I have so much more to learn about myself before I legally burden someone else with my idiosyncracies. And, despite the high occurance of divorce and unhappy marriages in my family, the romantic part of me imagines that my marriage will last. Something along the lines of Dr. and Mrs. Huxtable, only sexier and with less children.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home