Monday, January 16, 2006

The Adventures of Puritan Pete and Chester the Catholic.

I will teach you everything I know about the difference between Puritanism and Catholicism at the end of the Tudor Era. Because I'm a nice guy. Also, because imagining the Adventures of Puritan Pete and Chester the Catholic while I was in class made me giggle. They don't wear capes but they will damn you to hell with their razor sharp historical religious commentary. Okay...their sort-of-not-dull religious commentary?

On How to Get to Heaven:

Pete: I'm sad.
Chester (who, in my mind, has a funny hat): Why's that Pete?
Pete: Doesn't matter what I do, I'm not going to get into heaven. I tried becoming a Protestant, then a Puritan. I stopped smiling and wearing brightly coloured clothes and NOTHING. I'm probably going to burn in hell like all you Popish guys.
Chester (shakes his head): This Puritan things sounds like a lot of work. I've got it easy. I've been going to church every Sunday, and saying my prayers. I go to confession and say all my Hail Marys and Our Fathers. And just in case, I'm going to slip Jesus a fiver when my time comes.

You can picture them standing in a field with scythes. I know I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home